Family Office based in the Presidio of San Francisco, California is seeking an experienced, professional, organized, and detail oriented full-time Director of Residences to manage seven residences (four homes in California, two homes in the Sri-State area, and one home in Hawaii). Typical schedule is on Monday – Friday with flexibility to work evenings and weekends when residences need to be prepared for family and guests’ arrival, meetings are scheduled with principal(s), etc. Extreme flexibility with scheduling is required for the position. Director of Residences is responsible for overseeing the general operation of seven residential properties, employment/management of domestic staff (in an environment where everyone is given clear expectations and loves coming to work daily), and other ad hoc personal activities on behalf of the family. This position will work closely with the Director of Human Resources and Business Operations and other leadership team members, based in the family office in San Francisco, California. This is a newly created position. Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
- Managing seven residences that are domestically in California, Tri-State area, and Hawaii
- Routine on-site walk through of all residences when at each property and providing report to principals
- Work with family office to establish annual operating budgets for each residence
- Manage expenditures to establish operating budgets and ensure proper documentation and submission of house credit card purchases and receipts
- Create and maintain comprehensive household manuals setting priorities for tasks on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Maintain file systems including those for household operations, warranty manuals, household equipment, invitations, entertainment logs, etc.
- Maintain property workbook that includes but not limited to, contact lists of primary family members, vendors, contractors, etc.
- Plan and manage the execution of each task required for the seasonal opening and closing of each residence
- Maintain security systems at all residences and check/test on a regular basis
- Provide hospitality and attend to guests and family’s needs when visiting
- Awareness of the family and residential calendars in addition to associated travel itineraries to ensure residences are prepared to receive the family and staffing schedules provide adequate coverage
- Schedule meetings with principals as needed to discuss their schedules, travel plans, upcoming events, special projects, etc.
- Hiring, training, supervision of all domestic employees for residences and evaluating the quality of their performance (schedule review/evaluation annually with each employee, regularly schedule 1:1 check ins on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis). As required, in all cases, in partnership with Director of Human Resources and Business Operations.
- Manage household schedules and calendars, and coordinate staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage at all times based on principals’ needs
- Assist domestic staff with projects when necessary (e.g., creating a collaborative/team environment)
You are a passionate estate and real estate management professional who excels at providing the highest level of strategic partnership within the family office environment. You have a natural ability to build strong and respected relationships enabling you to work effectively with both domestic employees and family office senior leaders daily. You are assertive and resourceful, ensuring daily household operations run effortlessly and you are anticipating the needs of the family. You not only have an excellent ability to use sound judgment and work independently, but also know when to leverage team cohort and resources when appropriate. You are someone who exhibits a strong sense of ownership for your work product and continuously seeks to understand how your contributions add value and lead to high success resulting in the family office reaching its overall business mandates and objectives. An ideal candidate is someone who prides themselves on being a self-starter, highly organized, service oriented, kind, professional and capable of maintaining discretion. Candidates must be comfortable working with multiple family units, with diverse needs and expectations.
- Ability to travel domestically whenever necessary
- Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, excellent time management, efficient, and service focused
- Attentive to principals’ preferences and style (intuitive to their needs)
- Ability to maintain discretion (confidentiality agreement is required)
- Ability to be discreet with respect for employer’s privacy
- Professional presentation of self and great personality
- Strong organizational ability to present projects, budgets, lists, bids, quotes, etc. to family office and principals through use of technology
- Ability to develop and maintain solid working relationships with service providers, contractors, and vendors
- Ability to work collaboratively with interior designers and oversee interior design projects
- Ability to easily take direction
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate efficiently and effectively with principals, family office, and domestic employees
- Strong technology skills and experience working with Macintosh and PC
- Positive attitude and ability to handle residences and staff with ease and calm demeanor
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10+ years of consistent and recent domestic experience as a full-time director of residences and/or full-time estate manager overseeing multiple residences
- UHNW ($1B+) family office experience
- 3-4+ references from supervisors in domestic positions
- Seeking longevity/long term commitment (e.g., at least 5-10+ years)
- Safe vehicle for transportation
- Ability to complete extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks (clean driving record), drug tests, and psychological evaluations
- COVID-19 vaccinations
- COVID-19 testing and antibodies testing
- $200-250K+ gross annual salary (based on experience and qualifications)
- Health insurance coverage (including dental and vision)
- 401K Plan with 4% Match (Safe Harbor)
- Vacation days paid
- Government holidays paid
- Sick days paid
- Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number), letter(s) of recommendation, and professional photo if you feel that you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!