ABOUT THE JOB:
Director of Residences is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations across family’s private properties in Wellington, Florida, New York, New York, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. This role requires a person who has a macro view of the entire operation, is service- oriented and with the ability to manage teams of people in different locales, including ultimate responsibility over all household and farm staff (up to 30 team members). Director of Residences will have impeccable judgement, and will exercise diplomacy, discretion, and respect of appropriate boundaries in all matters. With an unparalleled focus on detail, the Director of Residences will provide and ensure the highest standards of excellence. Director of Residences is also responsible for managing vendors, suppliers and other third-party service providers, such as building contractors, landscape architects, caterers, decorators, and maintenance and repair personnel. This person will work closely with the corporate family office team, based in New York City, on financial and risk management of the household and farms.
- Responsible for the overall operations of the family’s private residences in Wellington, Florida, New York, New York, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts, the seasonal farm in Wellington and Cape Cod, and their respective domestic staff
- Accountable for all aspects of team member management including hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of all household and farm staff
- Evaluates and negotiates third-party contracts/employment offers, as it relates to the properties and staffing for the properties
- Travels to each residence as required, including in advance of principals to conduct household inspections and to ensure that the residence is ready for their arrival and fully stocked with all amenities and supplies in place; in general, ensuring smooth seasonal transitions for the family
- Plans and executes with house manager the tasks required for the seasonal opening and closing of each residence
- Manages and oversees all maintenance schedules across the properties and assesses the need for, and approves, all major repairs
- Directs, coaches and assists all direct reports in the fulfillment of their duties; communicating daily and weekly as needed
- Ensures household and farm standards are clearly documented and understood by direct reports to ensure consistency in standards and practices across all properties
- Responsible for working with the corporate family office accounting department, in coordination with direct reports, to establish annual budgets for each property
- Direct responsibility and oversight of household budget; monitors all household/property/capital spending throughout the year and works diligently with directs to keep within approved budgets
- Manages all vendors and contractors for regular and seasonal maintenance, as well as renovations and/or other special projects
- Aware of the family and residential calendars and associated travel itineraries to ensure properties are prepared to receive the family and staffing schedules provide adequate coverage
- Technology savvy with proficiency and resourcefulness in both Mac and PC systems, Microsoft Office Suite and smart home systems, household databases and apps
- Works in partnership with the corporate family office to ensure appropriate insurance coverage and other risk management with respect to the residences and farm
- Management of personal vehicles, to include repairs and maintenance and all logistical needs as the family transitions to other residences
- Other duties and special projects may be required from time to time
The high standards and excellence sought by the family makes for a challenging but rewarding work environment. This role calls for a high-energy, Director of Residences who has extensive experience managing high-caliber households and multiple properties, while maintaining the upmost privacy and confidentiality and above all, a demonstrated commitment to excellence.
You will have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience, with a bachelor’s degree preferred, and possess excellent negotiation skills, financial savvy, time-management and organizational acuteness. You are a broad strategic thinker, have an exceptional attention to detail, and have the ability to prioritize and follow through. You are punctual and courteous by nature, and your professional experiences should include event planning, semi-formal and formal table setting and table service. You are a master of etiquette and protocol and present with a polished professional, clean, neat personal appearance. You may have experience or familiarity with farm operations, barns, and particularly equine operations, which is a plus.
To meet the requirements of the role and ensure the highest level of service to the family you must be flexible to work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of consistent and recent full-time director of residences experience
- 3-4+ references from domestic positions
- Seeking longevity (e.g., at least 5-10+ year commitment and ideally longer)
- Live a close proximity to the family’s main residence in Wellington, Florida or willingness to relocate within a commutable distance
- United States passport
- Must possess a valid passport with no travel restrictions, open to frequent travel within the United States and internationally on occasion
- Safe vehicle for transportation
- Ability to complete extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks, drug tests, psychological evaluation
- COVID-19 vaccine(s)
- COVID-19 testing and antibodies testing
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Comfortable with children and pets (dogs, cats, birds)
• $250K+ gross annual salary (based on experience and qualifications)
• Health insurance coverage (including dental and vision)
• 401K plan (3% match – Safe Harbor)
• Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number), letter(s) of recommendation and professional photo if you feel that you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!