Family Office based in Flatiron of New York, New York is seeking an experienced, professional, organized, and detail-oriented full-time director of residences to manage five domestic residences / properties (located in various regions throughout the country). Typical schedule is on Monday through Friday with flexibility to work evenings and weekends when residences need to be prepared for family and guests’ arrival, meetings are scheduled with principal(s) and/or family office, etc. Extreme flexibility with scheduling is required for the position. Director of Residences is responsible for overseeing the general operation of five residential properties, employment and management of domestic staff (in an environment where everyone is given clear expectations and loves coming to work daily), and other ad hoc personal responsibilities on behalf of the family. Director of Residences will work closely with principals, family office (COO, CFO, Executive Assistant, etc.), and domestic teams. This is a newly created position for growing family office and domestic teams. Family is open to local candidates and domestic relocations. Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
- Managing five residences / properties that are domestically located in various regions throughout the country (including 700 acre property with large farm in New York)
- Routine on-site walk through of all residences when at each property and providing report to family office and/or principals
- Work with family office to establish annual operating budgets for each residence / property
- Manage expenditures to establish operating budgets and ensure proper documentation and submission of house credit card purchases and receipts
- Create and maintain comprehensive household manuals setting priorities for tasks on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Maintain file systems including those for household operations, warranty manuals, household equipment, invitations, entertainment logs, etc.
- Maintain property workbook that includes but not limited to, contact lists of primary family members, vendors, contractors, etc.
- Plan and manage the execution of each task required for the seasonal opening and closing of each residence
- Maintain security systems at all residences and check / test on a regular basis
- Provide hospitality and attend to guests and family’s needs when visiting
- Awareness of the family and residential calendars in addition to associated travel itineraries to ensure residences are prepared to receive the family and staffing schedules provide adequate coverage
- Schedule meetings with family office (executive assistant) and principals as needed to discuss family’s schedules, travel plans, upcoming events, special projects, etc.
- Hiring, training, supervision of all domestic employees for residences and evaluating the quality of their performance (schedule review / evaluation annually with each employee, regularly schedule 1:1 check ins on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis). As required, in all cases, in partnership with COO and legal team.
- Manage household schedules and calendars, and coordinate staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage at all times based on principals’ needs
- Train and assist housekeepers with specific care instructions for cleaning artwork, fine furniture, and specialty items
- Assist domestic staff with projects when necessary (e.g., creating a collaborative / team environment)
You are a passionate estate management professional who excels at providing the highest level of strategic partnership within the family office and domestic environments. You have a natural ability to build strong and respected relationships enabling you to work effectively with domestic employees, family office senior leaders, and principals daily. You are assertive and resourceful, ensuring daily household operations run effortlessly and you are anticipating the needs of the family. You not only have an excellent ability to use sound judgment and work independently, but also know when to leverage team cohort and resources when appropriate. You are someone who exhibits a strong sense of ownership for your work product and continuously seeks to understand how your contributions add value and lead to high success resulting in the family office reaching its overall business mandates and objectives. An ideal candidate is someone who prides themselves on being a self-starter, highly organized, service oriented, kind, professional, and capable of maintaining discretion.
- Ability to travel domestically whenever necessary
- Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, excellent time management, efficient, and service focused
- Attentive to principals’ preferences and style (intuitive to their needs)
- Ability to maintain discretion (confidentiality agreement is required)
- Ability to be discreet with respect for employer’s privacy
- Professional presentation of self and great personality
- Strong organizational ability to present projects, budgets, lists, bids, quotes, etc. to family office and principals through use of technology
- Ability to develop and maintain solid working relationships with service providers, contractors, and vendors
- Ability to work collaboratively with interior designers and oversee interior design projects
- Ability to easily take direction
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate efficiently and effectively with principals, family office, and domestic employees
- Strong technology skills and experience working with Macintosh and PC
- Positive attitude and ability to handle residences and staff with ease and calm demeanor
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10+ years of consistent and recent experience as a full-time director of residences and/or full-time estate manager overseeing multiple residences
- UHNW ($1B+) family office experience
- 3-4+ references from family office and/or domestic positions
- Seeking longevity / long term commitment (e.g., at least 2-5+ years commitment)
- Extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks (clean driving record), drug tests, and psychological evaluation
- Live a commutable proximity to family office in Flatiron of NYC or willingness to relocate
- COVID-19 testing and antibodies testing
- $300K+ gross annual salary (based on experience and qualifications)
- Health insurance coverage (including dental and vision) with family policy optional
- Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number), letter(s) of recommendation, and professional photo if you feel that you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!