ABOUT THE ROLE:
Hands-on estate manager focused on facilities, equestrian, fine gardening, landscaping, and woodland management for principal’s extensive property in Dover, Massachusetts. Estate includes the principal’s residence, a working horse farm with an 18-stall barn, sand and grass arena, turnout fields, indoor riding arena and extensive trail network. There are also numerous homes and building homes, all situated on over two hundred and fifty acres of natural woodland property.
Responsible for all maintenance and preventative care to ensure a safe and healthy living environment for the principal, family, staff, and livestock (as and when acquired), while maintaining and enhancing the value of all properties, and protecting privacy and confidentiality of the principal.
The estate manager will report to the Director of Property Management. Typical schedule is on Monday through Friday at approximately 6:30 / 7:00am to 4:30 / 5:00pm. Flexibility is required for occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays. Travel is not required for position. Principal is open to local candidates and domestic relocations. Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
Managerial / Clerical
- Identify, prioritize, perform, and coordinate work at the properties.
- Supervise and manage the work of estate staff, building the team as needed, and conducting performance reviews of estate staff.
- Source, schedule, and work with approved contractors for various property tasks and projects.
- Timely invoice review and recommendation for payment.
- Weekly / Monthly meetings to office and manager with frequent liaison as needed on issues.
- Evaluate property condition and develop work order lists to maintain or improve conditions based on principal’s goals.
- Respond to principal’s requests and work to complete requirements in a timely manner.
- Be attentive to the principal’s vision for the property and strive to facilitate its execution.
- Inform principal of issues or proposed work, plan a suggested course of action; once work is approved, schedule work at the convenience of principal, being sure to minimize any disruption.
- Provide timely and appropriate communication to principal on all matters.
- Provide reporting on property maintenance activities and maintain detailed records for equipment and home.
- 24/7 response to property issues on an on-call basis.
- Ensure vendors and workers are accompanied at properties to assure security, and privacy.
- Responsible for preventative maintenance on all property and equipment to maintain effectiveness.
- Check and maintain plumbing, HVAC components, electrical, painting and appliances. Troubleshoot all building issues which arise and implement solutions in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Ability to implement and assist with interior decor projects including window treatments, furniture installation, artwork, and general decor.
- Knowledge of fine furniture, fabric, decor care and cleaning.
- Troubleshoot all building issues which arise and implement solutions in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Provide property protection as needed in preparation of work.
- Work alongside vendors to facilitate an efficient cost-effective outcome.
- Maintain an emphasis on HVAC and technology to provide a comfortable living environment.
- Self-perform preventative maintenance when possible, balancing when to oversight and self-perform.
- Maintain vendor status, good relationships and bring in new vendors when necessary.
- Obtain multiple bids on larger projects and create bid packages for vendors.
- Work with security, curatorial and technology services, manage communication, access, and services.
- Understanding and ability to troubleshoot smart home technology systems.
- Always manage and monitor the job site for highest levels of safety. Work with contractors and in-house safety consultant(s) to perform periodic inspections, and hold toolbox talks.
Grounds and Landscaping
- Creation, design and execution of landscapes, plantings, meadows, and pastures.
- Design, construction and maintenance of equestrian trails and riding surfaces.
- Care of plants, shrubs, and trees on property—many of which are unique and heirloom.
- Use, care and understanding of agricultural tractor implements and tractors: seeders, harrows, graders, etc.
- Knowledge of standard agricultural practices in reference to the care of horses and other livestock.
- Manage extensive woodlands, trails, and paths throughout the property, including registered woodlands plan.
- Maintain sand arenas, turnout paddocks and grass riding fields.
Personal and Professional Development
- Personal continuing education through subscriptions, trade shows, classes, and experiences outside of work.
Education and Experience
- 10-15+ years in similar role or related experience required (including an understanding of all major construction trades).
- Knowledge of equestrian services and facilities management seen as an advantage.
- Ability to operate farm machinery such as tractors, etc.
- Experienced in agronomy/ turf management.
- Current valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to drive tractors, loaders, use tractor implements.
- Ability to make basic repairs to equipment and vehicles.
Skills and Knowledge
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills given multiple priorities.
- Must be able to complete and maintain regular documentation of projects, invoices, vendor information, etc.
- Comfortable with and adept at learning new technology interfaces and software.
- Ability to use mobile devices for coordinating and reporting work performed.
- Proactive and positive attitude, highly motivated, self-directed with minimal daily supervision.
- Demonstrated flexibility in adapting to new and varying situations.
- Respect for privacy and ability to always maintain a high level of confidentially.
- An understanding of how to handle hazardous materials. A high value is placed on safety and security, with training in OSHA and first aid / responder preferred (provided if not existing).
- Ability to adjust to variable interior and exterior conditions throughout the year in various climates.
- Ability to work at heights on occasion and the mobility and flexibility to lift and carry heavy objects (at least 50 pounds).
- Comfortable being on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to work with hand tools and power tools as needed.
- Comfortable working in a team centric environment with indirect reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, MS Project, Excel, Asana, with prior experience and understanding of integrated smart home technology systems.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10+ years of consistent and recent full-time estate manager experience with a high level of client service.
- Safe vehicle for transportation
- Ability to complete extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks, drug tests, and psychological evaluation
- 2-3+ references from domestic positions
- Willingness to sign a Confidentiality Agreement (NDA)
- Seeking longevity (e.g., 2-5+ year commitment and ideally longer)
- Live a close proximity to Dover, Massachusetts or willingness to relocate within reasonable commute
- $150-200K+ gross annual salary (based on experience and qualifications)
- Health insurance coverage family policy (including dental, vision, STD, LTD, Life insurance)
- 401K Plan with Match
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
- Laptop and phone provided (office provided for estate manager on property)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number), letter(s) of recommendation, and professional photo if you feel that you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!